Monday, February 13, 2017

A party for friendship ( or "A story of the mysterious rice - 1")

I was invited to a party with asylum seekers who are in reception at a cooperative of my town.


The photos you see below are the dishes prepared by these asylum seekers.
They are all from African nations.

↑ ↑ Cous cous with vegetables and meat
Good!

 African dounuts "FRU FRU"
So so ↓


Meat with peanut and tomato
They had already finished all when I arrived. So I guess it should have been delicious.

↑ Rice with fish and vegetables
Very good!! My favorite of the evening.
The taste was not very strong but balanced. There was a little of chili pepper that gave the dish a right "boost".

Djibril, a Senegalese guy, explained to me how he had prepared the dish.
I understood that the dish was called "Cepo" and the ingredients were fish, olive oil, potatoes, carrots, tomatoes and rice ....
"... Wait! Rice? I've never seen any rice so tiny like this.
Where did you get this rice? "
"A Bangladesh shop.
Ask to Vanessa. We went together to go shopping. "

So I asked Vanessa, an operator that follows the guys.
"Vanessa, what kind of rice is this?"
"Rice? No, no! It's cous cous. Don't you see that the grains are small?"
"Yes, I see them, but Djibril told me that it was rice. Also the card says that the name of the dish is Rice with Fish and Vegetables."
"He should have been confused."
"And the taste seems a bit different from the cous cous."
"Really? Dunno ..."
... the end of the conversation.

When I came home, not satisfied with the answer of Vanessa, I started searching on the web, and I found that Djibril was right.

.... to be continued ....

No comments:

Post a Comment