Friday, February 17, 2017

Ceebu jenn ( or "A story of the mysterious rice - 3")

This post is the third part of: 

So, I decided to cook Ceebu jenn, the Senegalese dish I tasted at a evening meeting with migrants.
The recipe did not seem very complicated, the only problem was obtaining the broken rice, so I thought to ​​"produce it" at home with a blender.


Well, I'll show you the result ↓↓

You see that the grains are much smaller than normal basmati rice?
No?
Then you've seen well.

The idea of ​​breaking the rice with the blender did not work.


I put all of the amount of rice indicated by https://senegaldaily.wordpress.com/recipes-from-senegal/ recipe in a blender. As soon as the blade began to spin I understood immediately that I would get half the rice in the form of flour and the other half in the intact form.
Then I tried to reduce the amount of rice, but the result looked the same.

Maybe I should have use a food processor instead of the blender?
Perhaps it could be better to soak the rice for a while before you blend?
I don't know.

Apart from this failure of the broken rice production, I cooked the dish quite well.
Obviously, the texture of the rice was different but the taste was good, similar to that of Djibril. Perhaps in the ceebu jenn of Djibril there was a slight scent of smoke. The next time I see him I should ask from what comes that scent.


My ceebu jenn was successful in my family, especially for my husband. I do not know how many times he went back for seconds.
Definitely I will make it again trying to see how to obtain the broken rice.


By the way, doing some research on the broken rice in Senegal, I found a very interesting report.
Through the rice you can understand the history, problems and challenges of Senegalese society.


Now, if I see the staff of the cooperative for the care of migrants, I can say, "It's rice, and not cous cous. Djibril is right."

Related posts





No comments:

Post a Comment